FOCUS ON COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE
Communicate, Connect, Create
for building high performance teams
This year’s focus will have you communicating, connecting and creating to build high performing teams.
In addition to exceptional speakers who will dive deep into relevant topics such as good management decisions, value creation and innovation, and creating and managing an authentic brand, 2017 attendees will have the opportunity to network and learn from other petro business decision makers.
FOCA is a great for networking, honest exchange of ideas (good and bad) and the opportunity to meet great people in our industry.”
John Wade, Best-Wade Petroleum
FOCA is for Owners, CEOs, CFOs and those executive team members of any and all sectors of focused on driving excellence and real profit into their organization – and who recognize the importance of out-learning and out-thinking the competition, including but not limited to:
- Dealer Supply
At this practical two-day event, you create and leave with a fully critiqued Action Plan that includes one Big Idea – one very large revenue producing idea that you can take action on immediately when you return to the office. Not only will you leave with an Action Plan, we will add our own unique accountability follow-up system to ensure your success! You will have our support even after the event is over.
Add to that four optional half-day workshops (Financial Mastery, Company Culture, Sales Management, and Communication) on October 6th and you’ll really turbo boost your ROI. You’ll also participate in our popular round tables where you’ll get your real life peskiest situations solved and your 6 and 7-figure take-away ideas figured out. We’ll have three round tables during your time with us mixed with speaker presentations with plenty of time for networking factored in.
Speaking of networking, you’ll have the opportunity to mingle with other petro business decision makers and forge profitable buy/sell supply deals or discover new merger opportunities. Our events tend to draw all size companies from all petro business sectors so you’ll enjoy ample opportunity to connect with the people you want to meet most.
And let’s not forget our famous Campfire Ranch Dinner and entertainment on our first night in a private desert location. Here you’ll have yet another chance to network with decision makers and top leaders in all sectors of the petro industry in a relaxed, fun atmosphere.
“I was new to the industry in 1999. FOCA acclimated me better than any other forum could have. I attended 5 straight years and always took away something new and met someone I could talk to about issues I was facing they already had dealt with. Now, 17 years later, there are times at FOCA when I can help someone new to the industry or suggest solutions to issues I once wrestled. That is a good feeling.”
Scott MacEwan – Van De Pol Petroleum
Here’s at Least 20 Things you’ll learn at the FOCA 2017 Event:
- How to drive up your top and bottom lines by becoming a better leader.
- CRM Do’s and Don’ts so sales keep streaming in.
- How to create a more joyful, productive workplace that translates to higher profits.
- The latest trends in acquisitions – how to capitalize on them so you can grow faster.
- How to cope with dreaded and ongoing regulatory changes.
- Efficiency strategies that work and save money!
- What the absolute most profitable companies in the industry are doing so they can rocket their own profits – and how you can, too.
- How to create a useful daily dashboard with just the right information.
- Best strategies in trucking and dispatch from fellow marketers.
- Techniques for better outcomes in heated conversations!
- The 10 financial health checkpoints too dangerous to ignore or forget.
- How to get the lowest cost capital for projects.
- How to find, keep, monitor and reward efficient and safe drivers (the key to bottom line profits).
- How to overcome the fuel margin squeeze.
- How to cure Multiple Manager chaos.
- How to create a profitable dealer network.
- How to get the fuel you need, when you need it and at the best price possible.
- How to keep the right inventory moving at the right pace without waste.
- How to create a top revenue producing sales team.
- How to manage the expectations of customers who want lower pricing but higher levels of service.
Thanks to our Sponsors:
“This was my first year and the experience was amazing. Very informative. Cannot wait to come back!”
Linda Gonzales, Tigua Distributing
Focus On Competitive Advantage hosts some of the country’s leading speakers
Dr. Gerry Swanson
He is an award-winning Department Chair and Professor Emeritus of Economics at the University of Arizona, trusted national bank board advisor, noted author, and more important, an economist with a personality and sense of humor, provides you with vital information about the current and future economy for good management decisions.
Gerry is a master at explaining how world events impact buyer behaviors which in turn impact the top and bottom lines of your petroleum business. Use his sage wisdom to plan for your winning strategy.
Tyler Norton had a successful 17 year career in the financial services industry where he served as a VP, Senior VP and Chief Distribution Officer for several multi-billion dollar organizations. He is now a serial entrepreneur having founded several different businesses over the past 10 years. Tyler also serves as the CEO and Co-Managing Partner of Hero Partners – an advisory firm dedicated to promoting entrepreneurial success in companies of all sizes worldwide.
Tyler and his partners recently completed a 3-D interactive film experience called “License to Dream” as part of a charitable initiative to teach and promote entrepreneurship to high school students around the world. This film was produced in partnership with Life Changing Experiences. He loves to teach and inspire entrepreneurs everywhere.
Tyler has a degree in Economics from the University of Utah and lives in the Teton Valley of Idaho – just over the mountain from Jackson Hole, Wyoming – with his wife and 6 kids.
David L. Cooperrider is the Fairmount Minerals Professor of Social Entrepreneurship at the Weatherhead School of Management, Case Western Reserve University. Professor Cooperrider is past President of the National Academy of Management’s OD Division and has lectured and taught at Harvard, Stanford, University of Chicago, Katholieke University in Belgium, MIT, University of Michigan, Cambridge and others.
Currently David serves as Faculty Director of the Center for Business as an Agent of World Benefit. The center’s core proposition is that sustainable value creation is the business opportunity of the 21st century, indeed that every social and global issue of our day is an opportunity to ignite industry leading innovation, eco-entrepreneurship, and new sources of value.
Re Perez is a seasoned Brand Consultant and founder of BRANDING FOR THE PEOPLE, the leading full-service branding agency that helps entrepreneurs and expanding businesses achieve rapid growth, market leadership, and increased impact through the power of Fortune 500 branding. Re’s background includes senior-level positions at top branding firms including Interbrand and Siegel+Gale.
Since January 2011, Re’s agency has inspired and helped thousands of entrepreneurs across 45+ different industries around the world—from start-ups, Inc. 5000 fastest-growing companies, and established multi million-dollar businesses. He has a proven track record for helping his clients double, triple and quadruple their business.
With a bird’s eye view of the industry, Betsi is in her third decade applying her extensive financial knowledge and experience to the petroleum industry. Through her quarterly Money Matters column published by the Petroleum Marketers Association of America (PMAA), and her resource rich PetroAnswers.com website, Betsi is the most widely read expert in the Petroleum industry. In addition, each year since 1992, hundreds of petroleum marketers have attended Betsi’s hard-hitting conferences, such as FOCA. Betsi is familiar
with most major refiners, conducting regular annual training sessions for the industry’s biggest brands.
In 2011, Betsi became a founding member of the John Maxwell Team, intensely studying John C. Maxwell and his leadership principles based on his premise that “Everything rises and falls on leadership.” Betsi and her team coach family business CEOs and their executive teams to new levels of personal and professional success.
In May 2015, Betsi signed a book publishing deal with noted Chicken Soup author Jack Canfield for Soul of Success Vol 2, where the world’s leading entrepreneurs and professionals reveal
their core strategies for getting to the heart of health, wealth and success. After hitting the Best Seller’s list both nationally and internationally at its debut September 2015, Betsi was given the Quilly Award by the National Academy of Best-Selling Authors. Watch for her second book debut, The 7 Quick Cash Fixes, released in 2016 along with her new joint publishing with Richard Branson titled Performance 360.
A Luxury Arizona Hotel with a Spirit of Adventure
Enjoy our Unbelievable $199/night rate!
October 4-6, 2017 in Tucson, AZ
Only 30 minute from Tucson International Airport (TUS)
Time stands still at The Ritz-Carlton, Dove Mountain, a scenic Tucson, Arizona resort that blends majestically into its Sonoran Desert and Tortolita Mountain setting. Surrounded by a lush Saguaro forest, the luxury mountain resort sits on land once inhabited by the indigenous Hohokam people, who honored its natural beauty with a spirit that still endures today. It is said that when the hotel’s foundation was ready to be poured, its entire footprint had to be relocated by a few feet so as to protect Saguaro cacti.
Listen to the beauty in the ancient melodies of the flutist welcoming each evening’s sunset. Enjoy a vast array of luxurious amenities, including the Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf course, four restaurants and a destination spa, plus the added convenience of the city of Tucson less than 30 minutes away.
- Two days in Tucson at our LIVE event where you will learn how to streamline operations, build a first class team and double or even triple your profits
- Special rate of only $199 per night for your stay
- All sumptuous meals provided by the hotel
- Our famous Campfire Ranch Dinner where you can relax and rejuvenate
The Focus on Competitive Advantage 2017 Agenda
Tuesday, October 3, 2017
- 6:00 Non-hosted gathering in hotel lobby bar starting at 6pm
Wednesday October 4, 2017
- 7:30 Registration and Full Buffet Breakfast
- 8:00 General Session with Betsi Bixby
- 8:45 Success Huddle #1
- 9:45 Refreshment Break and visit Sponsors
- 10:15 Speaker David Cooperrider- “Appreciative Inquiry”
- 12:00 Lunch and Visit Sponsors
- 12:45 Speaker Re Perez- “Branding for Marketing- Brand Identity, Messaging and Strategies”
- 1:30 Speaker Tyler Norton- “Leading and Re-Engagement”
- 3:00 Refreshment Break and Visit Sponsors
- 3:30 Success Huddle #2
- 4:00 Wrap Up
- 4:30 Meet for Ranch Dinner
- 4:45 Leave for Ranch Dinner **Sunset at 6:00pm
Erin Freeburg, Mentzer Oil Company
Thursday, October 5, 2017
- 7:30 Full Buffet Breakfast
- 8:00 Success Huddle #3
- 9:00 Refreshment Break and Visit Sponsors
- 9:30 Speaker Gerry Swanson- “Economic Update”
- 10:30 Quarterly Planning Session
- 12:00 Buffet Lunch
- 12:45 Best and Word Ideas of 2017 (Consistently ranked #1 for Top-Dollar Take-Aways!)
- 2:30 Refreshment Break and visit Sponsors
- 3:00 Surprise Guest Speaker!
- 4:15 Wrap Up, Awards & Complete Feedback Form
- 6:00 Hosted Social Hour
- 7:00 Hosted M-Power Dinner
Friday, October 6, 2017 – Optional Workshops
- 7:30 Full Buffet Breakfast
- 8:00 – 12:00 Concurrent Workshops (choose workshop below)
Choose From Four Powerful Concurrent Workshops
Choose from four powerful half-day add-on workshops on October 6th from 7:30 a.m. (includes full breakfast) ending at Noon so you can catch your flight home or go enjoy the golf course.
WORKSHOP #1 (October 6th)
- Driving Company Culture – John Kimmel, Meridian Associates
- How to know, set, encourage, and enforce your unique values
- Eliminate good employees quitting, bad employees staying and family rifts
- Techniques to create powerful alignment that boosts your bottom line
WORKSHOP #2 (October 6th)
- Sales Management that Works – Tom Latourette, Partner, M3
- How to manage your sales manager (or recruit one if needed) and make great hires (from a guy who has hired thousands!)
- Discover how sales pipeline management is your key to faster sales
- Never worry about your sales team’s productivity again
WORKSHOP #3 (October 6th)
- Mastering Your Financials – Betsi Bixby, President, Meridian Associates
- “Bulletproof” your company financials so you won’t be subject to arbitrary line reductions
- Discover cash-generating techniques that impact actual cash and your bottom line
- Benchmark yourself against key metrics (you’ll never know how good or bad are your numbers are without this)
WORKSHOP #4 (October 6th)
- Mastering Communication – Chalmers Brothers, acclaimed expert
- How to break the “code of silence” that is cancer to any organization
- Techniques to make it safe to have needed difficult conversations
- Skills for creating alignment and agreement plus surfacing best ideas
“FOCA made me take a serious detailed look at every aspect of our business, and most of all it gave me encouragement and the strength to push through the tough times to rebuild and get even better than it was before. The networking is always great and I came away with many ideas to make improvements.”
Cindy Halligan, Mentzer Oil Company
A 100% “No Questions Asked” Real Money Back Guarantee from Event Producer and Meridian President, Betsi Bixby
“We have it all – Plenty of networking opportunities, planning, answers to today’s challenges, expert speakers, fabulous meals and so much more. This is not just another conference with a few motivational speakers and a few meet and greets. This is a transformational event. Because I know you are going to get so much out of the FOCA event and you are going to be absolutely astounded by the content, and because I know what this event is going to do for your business, I am going to take ALL the risk away from you – and instead I am going to take all the risk. If for any reason you are not 100% satisfied with the event and do not feel like you’ve gained at least $100,000 in money saving and profit building strategies, you will receive a No Questions Asked 100% refund for your admission. That’s how confident I am about this event”.
— Betsi Bixby, President , Meridian Associates
How can we offer this kind of Guarantee?
You may be wondering, how can we do this? How can we guarantee our event? Well, that’s the real difference between FOCA and other industry related conferences and seminars. We guarantee our events because we CAN.
We are sticklers when it comes to data and during each FOCA event, we track the number of each profit-making idea or savings idea each attendee identifies and the total monetary value of each of those actions. For instance, last year had an overall average of $522,857 per person in profit-making or money-savings ideas!
And These Aren’t Pie-In-The-Sky Numbers
These are quantifiable dollar values of what YOU will learn at FOCA. You will come up with an Action Plans for each idea and calculate what each profit or savings idea is worth.
It all becomes crystal clear during the process we take you through. You leave FOCA knowing exactly what you need to do and how much your company will either make or save as a result of that action.
This is totally unique to FOCA and in Meridian in general. Nobody else is doing this. You’ll hear lots of theory and talking when you attend different events, but the difference with FOCA is you walk away with a quantifiable plan.
With ideas and numbers like this, you can easily see how the price of admission into FOCA 2017 is well worth it – because you walk away with a plan that will increase your bottom line by the hundreds of thousands like most of our attendees do.
We also follow up with you after the event to make sure you’re on track and turning those numbers into reality. We can say with the utmost confidence that the reason why we have so many Alumni returning to FOCA year after year is because this system works! The proof is in the fact that we are now celebrating our 22nd year of FOCA!
“For me, I came away from my first FOCA a Professional Petroleum Marketer. I was confident in my mission to improve the company’s bottom line with great ideas on sales, financial statements, personnel, inventory, vendor relations, equipment the list will just keep going. Betsi’s ‘7 Quick Cash Fixes’ was the first thing I did and saved the company well over $100k and was so simple to do.”
Kimberly Thomas, Tesei Petroleum
F A Q
What is the best Airport?
Tucson International is your closest option.
What is the meeting dress?
We suggest resort casual keeping hotel air conditioning in mind. Layers are good!
What is the dress for the offsite Campfire Dinner?
Jeans and boots or comfortable attire for walking outdoors is best. Ladies should skip the heels! Tucson is high desert which means temperatures drop as the sun goes down, so we suggest you bring a sweater or jacket along.
Can my spouse or guest attend with me?
We would love for them to join us for the Campfire dinner and the after hour’s business meeting social events without additional charge. Since we want you talking shop and your spouse out playing and relaxing during all other times, please respect our no spouses/no guest for all other functions including breakfast and lunches.The resort has wonderful room and pool services as well as a variety of restaurants for your spouse/guest.
What about children?
The hotel offers several child care options so may we suggest you reach out to them? FOCA is designed for the 21 and over group in mind.
Is there an airport to hotel shuttle?
There is car or van service offered by local transport companies at reasonable rates. Your registration email confirmation will include options.
“Our business had been struggling for a couple years so I reached out to Betsi because I had heard her speak at a state convention and was very impressed with her. FOCA made me take a serious detailed look at every aspect of our business, and most of all it gave me encouragement and the strength to push through the tough times to rebuild and get even better than it was before. The networking is always great and I came away with many ideas to make improvements.”
Cindy Halligan – Mentzer Oil
Meridian Associates Inc. is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.learningmarket.org. Click here for additional CPE details.